I started a new job on May 1, and I haven’t had a lot of opportunities to tell you how that’s going. So I thought I’d use today’s post to catch you up.
I am a public information specialist for a local government, Campbell County. I am the assistant to our public information officer. I work in Rustburg, the county seat, in the Haberer Building.
|The building I work in.|
I am enjoying my job and am happy for the transition from the newspaper job to what I’m doing now.
I do a lot of different things, but here are a few:
· Update the county website
· Update the employee portal (intranet)
· Make graphics for the website and portal
· Write public service announcements and media advisories and send them to local media
· Interact with local media and find information for them
· Help in responding to Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests
· I do a lot of editing
· Take photos at county functions
· Help with making presentations, crafting messages
· Update the Public Safety Facebook and Twitter accounts
· Lead the Web Content Authors group (those in other departments who update their pages on the website)
We are in the midst of transferring to another web platform for the county website. It will be so much better than what we have now. Right now, some people in other departments update their pages on the website. Once the changeover occurs, I will be doing the bulk of web updates.
I do a lot of writing, communicating, and creating with this job, and there is a lot of variety to each day. So I am enjoying it.
|A view of some of the Campbell County buildings in the government complex.|
I’m in the county administration office with my supervisor, the county administrator and his assistant, the clerk of the Board of Supervisors, the staff attorney, and the director and the assistant director of Public Works and their assistant. It’s a good group of hard-working and dedicated public servants.
I don’t miss the newspaper at all. I’m working full time where I am now, but the hours are regular and I rarely have to work nights or weekends. I work 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., so I’m home by 5:30 most evenings, which is hugely important to me. I don’t feel like I have to constantly be tuned into what’s going on around me in case there’s a story I need to cover. That is so good for my anxiety.
I feel very fortunate to have such a wonderful supervisor and to be doing work that I enjoy.
Friends, what has been your favorite job? Or do you think it’s still in your future?