Friday, March 28, 2014

Chase Bird, basketball and a haircut: Random 5 Friday

Happy Friday! I hope you’re doing well, dear readers, on this last Friday in March. Is it just me, or does this year seem to be flying by already?
One of the best things about Friday is being able to join Nancy at A Rural Journal for Random 5 Friday. I hope you will visit Nancy HERE and find other bloggers who are sharing their randoms.

Chase Bird relaxing on Larry's lap.

Chase Bird seems to be feeling better. It’s not that he had been sick. But he seemed subdued and was licking his fur a lot, enough to leave some bare spots.
He wouldn’t eat the hypoallergenic food, so taking that route to see if he had a food allergy didn’t pan out.
We are sticking to a few tried and true foods that don’t upset his stomach.
Larry and I have both noticed that he seems to be licking less. Fur is growing back in.
And he is playing more. I love to see (and hear) him galloping around chasing a stuffed mouse or other toy. He likes us to throw the toy out ahead of him so he can chase it and catch it.
I hope he has settled into his new life enough to feel less stressed. He is such a sweet boy.

Chase Bird snoozing.

Can you stand me writing about basketball a little more? Virginia plays Michigan State tonight in the NCAA college basketball Sweet 16. Michigan State will be a formidable foe, but I am hoping Virginia will win. Go ‘Hoos!

I got a haircut on Thursday. Larry had an appointment, and we see the same stylist. We were going to Lynchburg together—I had a doctor’s appointment—and I suddenly got an urge to do something with the shaggy mop I had been sporting. So I called up Jenny, who said she could fit me in.
She just trimmed it and cut some layers around my face. I want to keep it long enough to put up and braid.
She made it look so much better. I wish she could show up at my house every morning and style my hair for me.
I took a couple of selfies to try to show you the newer look, but they didn’t turn out well enough to share. I’ll blame it on the cell phone.

A random photo of Larry walking along the Staunton River in early February.

My doctor’s appointment was at 12:15. The doctor called me back at 1:15.
When I arrived, I was told he was running behind about 40 minutes. Could I wait? Yes, I told them. I came too far not to wait.
It takes me 45 minutes to drive to his office. That’s not terrible, but it’s in an out-of-the-way part of Lynchburg and the traffic to get there can be heavy.
He was running more than 40 minutes behind, obviously, but my irritation was outweighed by the fact that he’s a terrific doctor.
But I set my next appointment in the morning. I’ll be his second appointment of the day. He can’t be too far behind by then.

My doctor and I discussed several options to try to combat my tiredness. One of them is to take my depression medicine in the evenings instead of the mornings.
Seems simple enough, and I’m anxious to see if I notice a difference.
I usually take my medicine right after I get up in the morning. But an hour or two after I get up, I have been experiencing such fatigue that I feel like I could go right back to bed. I’ve wondered if it was the medicine, since I take a higher than usual dose.
I also don’t sleep well at night. I wake up every one or two hours.
So I hope to see good results from this small change. I’ll be working on some other changes, too, that I hope to share about soon.

Have a wonderful weekend!


  1. Hi Tina, I am wondering is Chase Bird is stressed? Sometimes stress can cause an animal to lick themselves more than they normally would. He definitely looks happy and peaceful sleeping in that photo. Glad you got your haircut and that it makes you feel and look better. As far as your #5, I can relate, Tina, believe me! Feeling very tired in the mornings and not sleeping well at night is something I fully comprehend. I will be praying for you and hope that you will feel more energetic and not as tired.

  2. Hi Tina! I was supposed to take my medication half in the morning and half at night. I found myself terribly fatigued and it made a huge difference for me to take the entire dose at bedtime. My doctor said he split it because of the half life or something but he said if it works for me, then go for it. I also went into menopause early as I had a hysterectomy and I wonder if that had something to do with my was all around the same time. I woke up a couple times a night and because I knew I had to get up to go to work in the morning, I would lay there and worry about not falling back to sleep. Terrible cycle. And my eating habits stunk. So there was a lot going on. I think I read once where you don't like to cook but It is pretty simple to make a vegetable and fruit smoothie or juice in the morning and That has improved my energy a hundred fold. I just use a Nutribullet and add about 60% raw vegetable to 40% fruit and maybe some flaxseed with water and blend that up. I love using raw spinach leaves or Kale, carrots, mango and pineapple. You can buy the fruit already cut up and frozen with no sugar added in the freezer section and that makes it even easier. Sometimes I throw in half a lemon with strawberries, carrots and leaf lettuce. They are pretty lo-cal too. Besides the energy, I found a huge difference in my skin in only two weeks, it almost glows. Mostly I just wanted you to know that taking my meds at night was helpful...and that somehow turned into an info-mercial. Feel rested soon!

  3. I'm glad that Chase Bird is being himself again. Our furry friend's health is as important to us as our own :) that's how it is with my cat. Maybe UK and UVA will meet in the NCAA Championship!

  4. glad you got a new hair cut ... always makes me feel better. hope your change in meds will do a lot better for you. happy weekend!!! ( :

  5. Hope the med change works Tina -- nothing worse than feeling tired all day! Hugs.

  6. Glad Chase is doing better. My puppy who has done so much to help distract and comfort me lately has hot spots on her and we are tryong different foods to see if its allergies. So far some changes have helped so hopefully we found the culprit.
    Lynchburg is on our to visit list for Colleges our son wants to visit.
    Best of luck with the changes and hope it helps with the sleeping!

  7. Chase Bird is so handsome. We worry so when our fur babes aren't "right". Glad to hear he is doing better. I'm getting a haircut today and I need it ... getting shaggy. I take some of my meds in the evening and it makes a lot of difference -- hope it helps you. Enjoy basketball! Doctor appointments ... ugh ... especially when running late. I'm not good at waiting. Happy Friday!

  8. glad chase bird is feeling back to normal and hope you will be soon too...good idea to make the appointment in the morning! i need a haircut too...don't know what i want...probably will just end up with a trim in the end, again haha...goooo virginia!

  9. hope you and chase bird both continue to feel better. :)

  10. Glad Chase Bird is feeling better!
    I wish I could braid my hair.

  11. Chase Bird looks so cute asleep! I keep my hair in layers around my face so I can tie it back too. Hope the meds adjustment works for you.

  12. I always like to schedule my appointments in the morning as early as possible, you know they will get behind.

  13. I'd be curious to know if taking the anti-depressant later will make a difference. Hope you report back. Glad Chase Bird is better. Enjoy the weekend!

  14. Tina, have you had your thyroid checked recently? A full bloodwork screening for it? That might be the source of your fatigue...or other hormones (those pesky chick hormones!).

  15. Good to hear that Chase Bird (what a fun name) is feeling better. It's scary not knowing what is wrong with our furry friends and then trying to try different things. I love his snoozing photo.
    I would recommended Monkeywrangler's suggestion on checking Thyroid Levels or B-12 as well because that can cause fatigue as well. Good luck on the changes.
    The new do sounds nice, I need to do something with my hair too. I hate the way it looks right now.

  16. When I was on depression meds I did them at night -- I think that really worked, at least for me. I suppose everyone's chemistry is different. Glad to see Chase Bird coming back a bit. And I have to say to -- sorry -- but GO SPARTANS!

  17. It's interesting to see how everyone's body responds differently to their meds. I take mine in the middle of the day, and used to do half morning/half evening thing.

    Happy weekend!

  18. Chase bird is looking so beautiful and happy!! I take a sleep aid every night, I would not be able to sleep otherwise. Before starting that, I would be so tired but unable to sleep. It is difficult to explain!!

    Sooooo important to have a good stylist. I always feel best when my hair looks good!!

    Have a wonderful weekend!!

  19. Glad Chase Bird is feeling better! Anna went through a weird stage this winter too. She wasn't exactly sick, but you could tell she was not herself. She didn't groom much and she meowed a lot. She's acting much more like herself the last few months. Sometimes, I sure wish they could talk!

  20. bad selfies - definitely the cell phone's fault! I hope Chase Bird continues to feel better and that switching the time of your meds will help - that seems like a nice easy cure.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.